The Wood Technology Institute was established by the Minister of Forestry on 1st January 1952 (Decree of the Minister of Forestry of 8th November 1951, M. P. No. A-106, item 1559). The Institute is a research institute registered in the National Court Register under No. KRS 0000106475.
The Institute acts on the basis of:
- Act on research institutes of 30 April 2010 (Journal of Laws No. 96, item 618 as amended),
- Decree of the Minister of Forestry of 8 November 1951, on the establishment of the Wood Technology Institute (M. P. No. A-106, item 1559),
- Decree No. 252/Org/92 of the Minister of Industry and Trade of 10 June 1992, on adapting the organization of the research and development unit of the name of: Wood Technology Institute to the provisions of the Act on research and development units of 25 July 1985,
- Decree No. 4/Org/97 of the Minister of Economy of 4 July 1997, changing the decree on the establishment of the Wood Technology Institute,
- statutes validated by the Minister of Economic Development and Finance on 15 May 2017.
The Institute's registered office is in Poznan, in Winiarska St 1.
The Institute is supervised by the minister competent for economy.