Project “Foresight in the wood science and industry…” implemented by the ITD, co-financed by the EU
The Wood Technology Institute in Poznań received funding from the European Regional Development Fund for implementation of the project no. POIG.01.01.01-30-022/08 entitled:
“Foresight in the wood science and industry - research development scenarios in Poland till 2020”.
Project was implemented within the framework of the Innovation Economy Operational Programme 2007-2013:
Research and development of new technologies
Support for scientific research for the development of a knowledge-based economy
Research projects using foresight methods
Duration of the Project: 1 June 2009 - 31 January 2011
The main aim of the Project was to identify priority directions of research and development for the development and growth of innovation of the Polish wood sector in the time perspective up to 2020, using the foresight method.
- increasing the awareness of the science and R+D sphere as well as economic practice in the wood industry concerning the special role of scientific research in increasing the innovation and competitiveness of the wood industry, and ultimately - the standard of living in the society,
- facilitating the transfer and adaptation to the conditions of the Polish wood science and wood industry producers - new and foreseen research trends in Europe and worldwide,
- optimal use of knowledge and skills of the scientific and research staff and technical resources of the R+D sphere in the wood industry for the innovative development of the wood sector in Poland.
The project created a "vision for the future" of scientific research in the wood science and industry in Poland until 2020, the most favorable for the growth of innovation and competitiveness of the wood sector on the domestic and international market, while taking into account the social aspects of this development.
In accordance with the assumptions of the Innovative Economy Operational Program, the "Foresight in the wood science and industry…" Project was of a technological nature, in terms of the subject it was industry foresight and had a nationwide range.
The project provided for implementation activities aimed at:
- defining the role and tasks of the R+D sphere for the innovative development of the wood sector until 2020,
- determining the conditions of durability of links between the R+D sphere and the wood sector enterprises,
- indication of key scientific advancement in the wood science and industry in Europe (and in the world),
- development of scenarios for the development of scientific research in the wood science and industry in Poland until 2020,
- defining the nature and extent of the impact of the anticipated development of scientific research in the wood science and industry on the innovative development of the wood sector.
The project included six main research tasks, arranged in a logical course of proceedings, and their results were milestones of the Project implementation. To achieve the aims of these tasks, different foresight methods were used, based mainly on expert knowledge and elements of quantitative methods. The flexibility of foresight was used, allowing the use of different methods in research, and combining them depending on the specifics of the analysed issue.
These tasks were:
- Innovativeness assessment of the wood sector in Poland.
- Diagnosis of the research and development sphere in the wood science and industry in Poland.
- Assessment of hitherto identified research and development trends in the wood science and industry in Poland.
- Key conditions for scientific progress in the wood science and industry in Europe and in the world.
- Identification of priority research trends in the wood science and industry in Poland until 2020.
- Determination of the impact of the anticipated development of science in the wood industry on the innovative development of the wood sector in Poland until 2020.
The research carried out in the Project was of interdisciplinary nature, and focused on research areas particularly important to the future development of science and the wood sector, such as:
- mechanical wood processing,
- wood composites,
- pulp and paper industry,
- environmental protection and security,
- wood protection,
- wood industry economics (and social aspects),
In the analysis of the directions of development of research and development in the wood industry, the interaction and overlapping of these areas was taken into account. The attention was focused on both areas selected for analysis and the wood sector as a whole. Due to the significant diversification of individual wood industries, the branch arrangement of the wood sector was also considered.
Events and research organized or carried out as part of the project:
- 2 scientific seminars:
- 2 discussion panels:
- expert research using the Delphi technique
- conference summarizing the course and results of the Project >>
The results of the Project are widely disseminated in:
- 4 reports with the results from individual tasks,
- 5 reports with the cross-sectional results of the Project (research areas, basic branches of the wood sector),
- 1 report containing forecasted scenarios for the progress of research and development in the wood industry until 2020,
- 1 concept paper presenting the entirety of the Project,
- database of experts in the field of the wood science and industry.