Project „Resource-efficient fuel additives for reducing ash related operational problems in waste wood combustion” (REFAWOOD)
In April 2016 the Bioenergy Department embarked on the three-year international project entitled: „Resource-efficient fuel additives for reducing ash related operational problems in waste wood combustion” (REFAWOOD).
For the implementation of the tasks performed by the Polish partners, the project was granted 1 099 135.00 PLN by the National Centre for Research and Development within the framework of the ERA-NET Bioenergy 9th Joint Call.
The overall objective of the REFAWOOD project is to improve economic and environmental conditions and enlarge the market for the use of wood waste fuels in CHP-plants by using resource efficient additives such as recycled gypsum and halloysite during combustion.
The project is divided into four stages:
- To propose fuel additive design concepts and to perform lab-scale combustion tests;
- To identify regulations regarding emissions from combustion, waste wood categorisation/utilisation, possibilities of biomass ash utilization as additive for fertilizers;
- To perform full-scale combustion tests with fuel additives in CHP plants;
- To perform a Life Cycle Assessment of the supply chain.
The final outcome of the REFAWOOD project will be the creation of a credible knowledge base on the use of mineral additives, which are often waste, in order to reduce operation and maintenance costs and problems associated with the emission of hazardous compounds to air as well as the formation of slag and ash during combustion of low quality biomass. As a result, the use of additives can allow for burning of various fuel mixtures, e.g. using cheaper (inferior quality) biomass streams.
Project website: http://refawood.com/
The international REFAWOOD Consortium consists of 16 partners from EU countries (Sweden, Austria, Germany, the Netherlands, and Poland). The Consortium involves 8 enterprises, 4 R&D institutes/organizations and 4 universities.
Industrial partner for Poland:
- Hotel Arłamów S.A.
Other scientific partners:
- Luleå University of Technology (Sweden)
- Umeå University (Sweden)
- Avans University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands)
- Utrecht University (Netherlands)
- Bioenergy 2020+ GmbH (Austria)
- DBFZ Deutsches Biomasseforschungszentrum gemeinnützige (Germany)
Other industrial partners:
- ENA Energy AB (Sweden)
- Gips Recycling AB (Sweden)
- FRITZ EGGER GmbH & Co. OG (Austria)
- LASCO Heutechnik GmbH (Austria)
- Endress Holzfeuerungsanlagen GmbH (Germany)
- Cujik (Netherlands)
- Dekra (Netherlands)
The final workshop of our REFAWOOD project will take place on Thursday, February 28 at the 2019 edition of the World Sustainable Energy Days (WSED) in Wels, Austria (https://www.wsed.at/en/world-sustainable-energy-days.html).