Magdalena Komorowicz, MSc (Eng)
Patrycja Kwaśniewska-Sip, MSc
+48.61 849 24 14
The Environmental Protection and Wood Chemistry Department’s research within the area of environmental protection concerns indoor air quality. Tests of the emission of formaldehyde and volatile organic compounds (VOC) from wood-based panels, furnishings elements, finishing materials (paints, lacquers, stains etc.), and construction materials (floors, wooden windows and doors etc.) are performed using the chamber methods. Tests of furniture maker’s materials and furniture are carried out in chambers simulating residential rooms of a cubature ranging from 20 m3 do 41 m3. As regards wood chemistry, the department conducts research on the chemical properties of lignocellulosic materials, including deciduous and coniferous wood species of different origins (European and tropical), collected nowadays, but also originating from archaeological objects of various conditions. This line of research also considers vegetable raw materials for energy and industrial purposes (biomass) and post-consumer wood waste. The aim of chemical research is to obtain the characteristic of said wood materials and observe the changes occurring in wood due to biotic and abiotic factors, as well as to assess the suitability of wood waste for economic use. Additionally, the department carries out research on synthesis, modification and the properties of polycondensation glue resins (amine, phenol) used for the production of ecological composite wood materials.
RESEARCH AND SERVICES
- Hygienicity of furniture, wood materials and construction materials – formaldehyde and VOC emission,
- Wood and raw lignocellulosic materials – properties, chemical composition, durability, decomposition,
- Composts from wood waste – natural management, ecotoxicity tests,
- Composite wood materials – content of pentachlorophenol, lindane,
- Solid biofuels (briquettes, pellets, wood chips, sawdust, dust, waste products and residues from industrial processes) – properties, quality, classification,
- Biomass (wood, plant biomass) – properties, quality,
- Polycondensation glue resins, dispersions – properties, synthesis, modification, applications,
- Upholstered furniture, mattresses, PU foams – flammability from different ignitions sources,
- Construction materials (for floors) – reaction to fire, classification acc. to reaction to fire.