Wojciech Bałęczny, MSc (Eng)
Karolina Mytko , MSc (Eng)
+48.61 849 24 55
+48.61 849 24 54
The Wood-based Products and Biocomposites Department conducts research on the development of new and the optimisation of known production technologies for composite wood product manufacturing from conventional and alternative raw lignocellulosic materials. The department has carried out many national and international projects regarding improved production effectiveness, formaldehyde reduction, modification of the board properties, and improvement of the ready product quality. It developed a technology for panel production (for furniture and construction) using raw materials from plantations and agricultural crops (fast growing willow, rape straw, miscanthus straw, and black locust) and an ecological, structural lignocellulosic composite characterised by enhanced strength and resistance to biotic factors. The latter invention was awarded at many international invention exhibitions. Currently, the department is working on low-emission bio-materials based on natural raw materials and modification of the wood-based material properties by using innovative solutions (nanoparticles, ionic liquids). The department employees are authors of numerous patents, among other things, in the field of formaldehyde content reduction and construction boards. A broad co-operation with recognised producers of wood-based panels and glue resins has resulted in implementation of innovative technologies on many occasions.
RESEARCH AND SERVICES
- Optimization of wood-based material production technologies,
- Research on wood-based panel properties,
- Characteristic and assessment of raw lignocellulosic material suitability for panel production,
- Alternative raw lignocellulosic materials,
- Use of waste raw materials, including post-consumer wood, in composite wood product manufacturing,
- Research on the properties of resins and glues and their modifications,
- Tests of sand content in raw materials for wood-based panel production and in the panels,
- Tests of formaldehyde content and emission, reduction of formaldehyde content,
- Determination of free formaldehyde content in amine and amide-formaldehyde condensates
- Analyses and expert’s opinions.